About Me

My photo

Hi, I'm Whitney! I am a middle of the pack runner who discovered the fun of triathlons in 2009. Join me in my adventures in life and training. I run with the Rush Running team and enjoy the fun that comes with such a supportive group of friends who understand what running means to me. I'm newly discovering road biking and the fun that it entails.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Punishment for Sleeping In

Well, this morning my alarm went off and I just couldn't make myself actually get up.  It was dark outside at 5:15 and I just wasn't feeling it.  The group run was messed up since some were starting at 5:15, some possibly at 6, and others at 7am.  I think I knew I would be running on my own anyway so I took advantage of this and went back to sleep.

I finally got up and moving around 8am but stayed in bed reading a book.  I was regretting skipping my run and eventually convinced myself to just run from my house.  I live in a very hilly area that has two-lane roads with very little shoulders.  I usually avoid running from my house for safety but I do have a loop that seems to keep me on less-traveled roads.  I chugged a glass of water and ate some fruit snacks and got ready to head out.  I thought about doing my four-mile loop and then coming back to the house for more water but decided to carry water anyway so I could play it by ear.  I took a Camelbak podium bottle with me and figured that would be enough if I didn't gulp on water!

I was pleasantly surprised by how much shade I encountered along the route.  This helped a lot but I still had to face my Triple H Punishment...Heat, Humidity, and HILLS!!! It was about 9:45 when I started and the temps were definitely warm.  The air was sticky with only an occasional breeze.  The hills, well they were everywhere that I went! I got to the 2 mile point and had a choice to make...turn back to home or continue on and force myself to get the mileage in.  You see, I had a sneaking suspicion that if I returned home I wouldn't actually go do the second loop. 

I chose to go out another mile or so before turning back.  This put me on a shaded, non-paved road...the only problem was that it was a mile of pretty much downhill grade meaning I would have to run back uphill! I ended up taking a couple walk breaks on the uphill return but overall managed pretty well by just slowing down and focusing on getting the distance in rather than hitting a certain pace.  As I got closer to home, I added on a short loop to get my mileage just under 7 miles for the run.  The pace was slower than I would have liked but it was more important for me to get the distance done and to learn that I can survive heat, humidity, and hills!

No comments:

Post a Comment