Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ode to Fall Long Runs

(Please accept my apologies in advance, but I wanted to try out a little poem recap of my long run today versus the traditional recap I normally do.  I hope it isn't too horrible!)

Oh, how I didn't want to get out of my warm and toasty bed this morning.
But alas, Anne was waiting for me at the town square.
Taper time for her marathon meant an easy long run.
Dressing meant digging through drawers, long forgotten.
Sleeves and capris hidden away,
not to be worn during hot summer days.
The debate ensued as always, how many layers were needed.
Temps were 40 degrees and the sun would be rising.
Decision was made and away I went to face the day.

Unhappy that my new earbuds were already broken,
Meant music would not happen and words would be spoken.
Together we plotted a course that would amuse us
And avoid the dreaded hills that tend to abuse us.
Into the chill and sunrise we headed,
ticking off the miles as we went and chatted.
Gu stop at mile 5 and Biscuit a friendly yellow lab
He was the gracious neighborhood greeter!
This was followed by a stop at the White Oak Station,
potty stop and water bottle refills were in the making.
Back on the road and having fun,
we couldn't believe we were almost done.
Together we finished with 10 miles under our belts,
so amazed how little the time actually felt.

Thanks to Anne for helping me to get my pace back again.
Our long runs together are always a blast!
Good luck in Chicago, you are going to be super fast!

2 comments: