About Me

My photo

Hi, I'm Whitney! I am a middle of the pack runner who discovered the fun of triathlons in 2009. Join me in my adventures in life and training. I run with the Rush Running team and enjoy the fun that comes with such a supportive group of friends who understand what running means to me. I'm newly discovering road biking and the fun that it entails.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Have you met Coach Troy?

Tonight was my first workout with a Spinervals DVD.  I recently bought two different Spinervals DVD's in an effort to keep myself motivated to utilize my bike trainer this winter.  Coach Troy Jacobson leads a group of cyclists in an interval workout with directions on what positions to have your bike on for both front and back chain rings and/or the resistance levels depending on whether you are using a spin bike or your bike on a trainer.

Competition 10.0 - Ride and Stride
Tonight I completed the Ride and Stride DVD which is geared towards triathletes.  The workout is divided into 3 intervals that are 15 minutes in length.  If you have a treadmill, then you do 10 minutes on the bike followed by 5 minutes on the treadmill for each interval. Otherwise, Coach Troy breaks the interval into two sets within each interval one in the big chain ring lasting 10 minutes and a second 5 minute set in the little chain ring. 

Before today I had only really been in my big chain ring on accident during rides.  I have a triple crankset on my bike and have known that I should use the big ring just have trouble shifting between the rings on the front while in motion! The workout was really good and I was dripping with sweat within just a few minutes of the workout starting.  The music was a little drab and somewhat outdated but it is easy to just not hear it.  Coach Troy kept constant feedback through out the sets...sometimes I liked this and sometimes it was a little too frequent between updates. 

The treadmill portion of the workout sounded intense and made me thankful to not be participating in it! The 5 minutes started at your base pace and then increased by 1-2 mph and 1% incline after each minute.  Yikes, maybe someday I'll be ready for that!

Overall I had a good time during my first workout with Coach Troy.  The second DVD I bought is actually a 3 series set that contains 5 hours of workout.  I'll keep you posted on my thoughts once I try that series out.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the Spinerval DVDs! I don't have the ride and stride one, but it sounds interesting! I might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just the same DVD that came with my trainer, but I haven't gotten a chance to get on the trainer yet... UGH! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Spinervals - I own several. I haven't found one yet that's "easy," but yours sounds like an awesome workout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't exactly have a bike (I do, but it's a mt. bike) but my friend is giving me her old road bike and I think I'll get a trainer for it and these DVD's would be awesome to try out. Since I can't run as much with this nagging heel injury, biking will be a great mix in the training. Thanks!!

    Checking to see if you have send and/or received your blog buddy gift yet???!!! :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete