About Me

My photo

Hi, I'm Whitney! I am a middle of the pack runner who discovered the fun of triathlons in 2009. Join me in my adventures in life and training. I run with the Rush Running team and enjoy the fun that comes with such a supportive group of friends who understand what running means to me. I'm newly discovering road biking and the fun that it entails.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

My Own Version of Ironman

I have a secret...I'm not a huge fan of NFL football.  While the majority of the country was watching the Super Bowl I watched some HGTV until I talked myself into a little workout.  I had a movie from Netflix so I decided I would watch part of the movie while doing some bike trainer intervals.

I got on the bike at 8:02 and decided a 58 minute workout would be optimal (I'm a little behind on my time goal for the month so thought I could pick up some extra minutes!)  While spinning in an easy gear I came up with my workout.  Lesson learned...never trust your math while working out! I decided on a ladder that I thought would get me to 40 minutes of intervals and then my warm up and cool down time.  It wasn't until after my second ladder that I realized my intervals were going to be short.  My interval set was a decreasing time ladder with increasing resistance.  Between each rung of the ladder I did a 1 minute standing run in my big chain ring.  I started at 10 minutes and worked my way down by 2 minutes each ladder rung with a bonus extra 2 minutes at the end too. 

You are probably wondering where my title post comes in? Well, the movie of choice for my ride tonight was Ironman 2.  I know the movie came out a while ago but I'm a little slow sometimes.  It was a good distraction for while I was on the bike. It didn't require any thought to follow the plot and I was able to stay interested and get the full workout in. 

Don't forget some great giveaways going on this week:
Tanita Body Composition Scale
Gu Giveaway Pack
My AWESOME Run Happy T-shirt and Prize Pack

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Whitney! Do you happen to have any good resources/sites to recommend about foam rolling techniques? I can only imagine my coordination on that thing will be hilarious, and any tips I can get will be greatly appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can do math okay when I'm running. But swimming!! I get so mixed up. I would love to have an abacus (is that what they're called) on deck at the end of the lane so that I could just slide beads over. : )

    ps. I'm not a fan at all of football either, so I didn't catch the Super Bowl though it was on in the living room.

    pss. to comment above -- try youtube. I've found lots of foam rolling techniques there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My math skills fall apart when I'm working out, too. Sometimes I have a hard time counting to 10 ("Am I on lap 5 or 6???"). :)

    ReplyDelete