Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Have you tried Hot Yoga?

I'm not sure that Hot Yoga is a very accurate description for this type of class... I think something like Dripping Buckets of Sweat Yoga is a much better description!

I went for a little cross training today since my bike is in the shop for a tune up this week.  There is a small yoga studio in our downtown square and I have wanted to try it out for a few months.  One of my friends has been going regularly and that gave me the encouragement to try it out. 

The studio follows the Baron Baptiste Power Vinyasa method. The class was called Power Flow which was described by the studio's website:

“Power Vinyasa Yoga is an ultimate experience for people who are ready to tap both their physical and spiritual power. The practice is a combination of different traditions of yoga that combine for a dynamic mix of sweat and spirit. It will tone your body and electrify your mind. It is a flow that has many different levels which allow for beginners, intermediate and advanced students to be challenged in the same class.  The classes are taught in a heated room to help cleanse the body and warm the muscles. This flow will torch calories, tone your body, and relax your mind.” Baron Baptiste

I got to the studio and completed a new student form and then found a spot to layout my mat.  The studio is very small and the class was full.  I had a towel with me and a bottle of water that I stashed at the end of my mat.  We started out with some ab work poses and within just a few minutes I was working up a sweat.  It wasn't long before I had to spread the towel out over my mat because I was losing traction for my hands and feet during the flow series.  By the end of class I was completely drenched as was my towel.  The sweat was pouring off of me during downward dog and other bent poses.  I was so spent that I couldn't even take my bridge into a backbend.  I was shaking during Warrior III poses and had to pause and regroup a couple times in some of the poses.  It was definitely tougher than the yoga classes I have done before.  The heat just adds another element to the class. 

Overall, I enjoyed the experience but was overwhelmed with the heat and sweat at times.  Some of the poses were a little challenging for me since I am not a regular student of yoga.  I think I'll give it the class a few more tries before I make a final decision.  It was definitely one of the sweatiest workouts that I have had that didn't involve any cardio. 

One thing I liked was the teacher's initial start to the class to get us to leave behind the outside world and focus.  She made a comment that we are in charge of our emotions and how "loud" we let our emotions get.  She told us to think of a volume dial and turn the volume down and make the choice to be in the now in the class.  Coming off a rough day yesterday it was a great reminder that I choose how I let my surroundings and other people affect me.  Besides the good stretch and workout, this was a great thing to take away from the class!

2 comments:

  1. So I just started regular Yoga Level I-II and so far love it. I was wandering about hot yoga. Maybe I should give myself like a month or so before trying it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if I could get the students in my class to turn down their volume. I like the concept.

    ReplyDelete