About Me

My photo

Hi, I'm Whitney! I am a middle of the pack runner who discovered the fun of triathlons in 2009. Join me in my adventures in life and training. I run with the Rush Running team and enjoy the fun that comes with such a supportive group of friends who understand what running means to me. I'm newly discovering road biking and the fun that it entails.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Reverse Tri Saturday

Yesterday I got a little bit over-zealous for the great summer weather and went ahead and got in a run, bike, and swim.  My day started with the Elm Tree Wildcat Rumble 5K race.  Race report to follow in the next few days.  It was a hot and humid race and I was happy with my performance given the conditions.

I had made arrangements in advance with my friend Kyla to do a bike ride after the race.  We were getting our bikes situated when some of the guys that we ride with rode up.  They had started earlier and were completing the first leg of their ride.  They waited a few minutes for us to finish and then we all headed out together.  We were only going out 10 miles for a 20 mile ride and the guys were going another 8-10 miles past our turn-around point so that they were getting more mileage.  Some of them were doing 65 miles...kind of made our 20 seem puny but we had just raced a 5k!

Unfortunately at one point in the ride Kyla and I got exhaust bombed:( A pickup truck revved his engine as he passed us and blew out a huge mess of exhaust as he passed.  It was disgusting and awful.  We just tucked our heads down until it was safe to breathe again.  That awful moment was quickly forgotten as we spotted lots of reptile life on our ride.  We saw 4 turtles (2 alive, 2 dead and 2 of them were giant turtles.) We also spotted a large lizard just lounging on the shoulder.  We also saw nearly 150 motorcycles riding out on the country highway we were on.  There must have been an organized ride going on for Memorial Day.

After the ride, I headed to farmers market to pick up some veggies.  I rushed home to shower and then headed to my haircut.  While sitting in the chair at the salon I got super warm and got the inkling that I might have messed up with the sunscreen again.  Yep, another unfortunate burn.  I got my arms covered with sunscreen but forgot the racerback area of my shoulders and back.  I was going to change shirts into one that had more shoulder coverage but changed my mind at the last minute.  Big oops!

From there, I headed to lunch and an errand and then went to the pool.  The outdoor pool was open Friday-Sunday for a kids swim meet.  Lucky for me and Kyla, our friend Brent is on the swim team board and he let us in to swim at the end of the meet.  It's been a long time since I swam long course but the water and sunshine felt awesome. 

At the end of it all, I was worn out...Completely exhausted and famished.  I downed some Nuun and got to work on eating and getting rehydrated.  I was in bed early and slept well!


  1. Sounds fun! Love turtles (too bad about the dead ones though). I never, ever see turtles roaming around in my parts. Though I do have one in the backyard as a pet.

    Keep up the great work! Boo on the exhaust bomb.

  2. I would have been glad the reptile spotting didn't include snakes!