Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Random Updates

I've been a little lacking in blog updates for the last week so here are some random updates on what I've been up to.

Swimming: I got some quick lunch time swims in the last week.  I usually managed just under a mile during my lunch hour.  The gym is pretty busy at lunch time but most of the people are taking classes and so the pool isn't too crowded.  On Monday, I struggled to find an open locker it was that crowded! This past weekend our Sunday Funday swim included a main set of 2 sets of 6 x 75 and then 4 x 150.  The 75's were done in the following order: free, 25 fly 50 free, 25 free 25 back 25 free, 50 free 25 breast on the 1:30 (with the 25 stroke fast) then 25 fly, back, breast, and 75 all free ALL fast on the 2:00.  The extra rest on the 2:00 was well enjoyed and needed! The 150's were done on a 2:45 interval and we all did something different.  I alternated doing all free and pull. 

Biking: Whoops, I didn't do any bike trainer workouts last week. 

Running:  I got a couple good runs in last week but struggled to go out this weekend for a run.  I have to work one Saturday a month for my new job.  It's usually just a few hours in the morning but it meant that by the time I left work I was hungry and not feeling motivated.  I really had no excuse for being so lazy but I enjoyed the shopping time that I took instead of running.  I suffered the consequences on Monday when I just couldn't get into the speed workout.  Our speed workout was a really tough Prefontaine classic called 30/40's.  Pre used to run 200m repeats in 30 sec then 40 sec and he would continue alternating between those 2 paces until he hit a 10K distance.  Of course, very few people are as talented as Pre so for the rest of us you just match the concept with alternating 200's that are hard/easy.  Our goal was to do 2 miles of alternating 200's then 2 x 800m.  I skipped out on the final 2 x 800m's and opted to begin my cooldown instead.  It's important to push yourself in a safe manner when rebuilding your fitness and this is a workout that is tough if your fitness isn't quite where it should be.  It is a great workout and one of my favorites that Mike gives us.  I made up for the shortened workout by doing plyometrics after the workout.  I love plyos and noticed this morning that it has been awhile since I've done plyos due to some lingering soreness. 

I'm hoping to be better this week about getting my runs in and blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment