Sunday, April 22, 2012

50 Miles!!!

Today I updated my USMS Master's Swimming online fitness log for my progress on the Nike Go the Distance challenge.  I set my goal for this year to swim 150 miles in 2012! 

Today I made it past the 50 mile mark which means I am on track to make it to my goal this year.  Yeah!!! Today's Sunday Funday swim was a full group with all of Team Tininenko in attendance (Brent, Lauren, and Alexa) as well as myself and Carie.  Carie's friend Hannah also came but did her own workout. 

For the workout: we started with a 1000yd warmup ladder.  The ladder breaks down as 400yd swim, 300yd drills (75 per stroke), 200yd kick, 100yd IM or pull.  My friend Kyla and her son Karsten showed up during the drills portion of the warmup.  She normally swims with us for Sunday Funday but she was on baby duty today.  I had her watch some of my kick because lately when I've been doing breast stroke kick drills I feel off kilter.  It's as if one foot comes up higher than the other.  She thought it looked like my hips weren't even which makes sense.  I've been feeling like my hips were a mess lately while I run too.  I'm probably overdue for a visit to the chiropractor.

Next up was our main workout set.  The workout Carie had picked for today called for 6-8 x 200 with the odds IM and the evens all free descending pace.  They selected a 4:00min interval which would give them plenty of time to recover for the descending pace challenge.  I decided to go with a shorter distance of 150 on a 3:00 min interval and increase the number of reps.  I managed to get in just shy of 11 reps while the others did the 200's.  For the first 8, I did a 25yd stretch of backstroke in the middle on the odds and 25yds of breaststroke on the evens.  For reps 9 & 10, I did pull and then for the 11th and final I only got in 100yd of straight free. 

We did an easy cooldown and then hit the hot tub.  The hot tub was super crowded tonight with some other people plus our group of 6.  We might have exceeded the occupancy limit but the lifeguard didn't say anything to us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment