Sunday, June 10, 2012

Rush Hour - Mile Repeats



Monday's Facebook post from the Rush Running team was quite the anomaly.  Normally, Mike Rush and Drew promise pain and torture not free stuff! The Rush team had a few leftovers from the War Eagle trail race series so they gave out tons of PowerBar gels and Gu gels during the workout.  Mike is very generous and shares with the community whenever he can. 

The workout he prescribed was 3 by 1 mile repeats.  The mile repeats were to be done at 5K pace with the 3rd lap of each at a hot pace of nearly 25 sec per mile faster for that 400.  I had spent the weekend doing back to back triathlons and so my goal for the night was to just get some mileage in and try what I could handle of the workout. 

I got in a slow warmup or around 2 miles before the workout.  It was warm and sunny out and I didn't feel very sprightly! My first mile came in okay around a 9:30 pace which isn't where Mike prescribed but quick for how tired I felt.  I started on the 2nd mile and just didn't have the heart to withstand the heat and effort.  I took a break after a lap and went to stand in the shade for a minute.  It helped and I gave it another go to finish out the mile.  It was disjointed but felt good to try to persevere.  I ended with a cooldown walk and 4.25 miles for the night. 

After everyone had finished, Mike offered up a few more giveaway items. 

He didn't tell us much about how he would select winners just told us to find a partner.  Once everyone was matched up, he got us started in a rousing game of Rock Paper Scissors.  Yep, that's how he determined who would win some hydration gear and new sunglasses! We started out with 60 people playing and whittled it down on a one shot game until just four were left.  It was a fun way to end the workout. 

Bonus, after the workout I stopped by my friend Brent's house to pick up the Walmart International Cycling kit that I had ordered.  It turned out great and the sizing is perfect.  I can't wait to try it out and will of course have pics to share.  The kits were custom ordered from Primal and look so professional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment