Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Funday Swim Workout

It's been awhile since I shared a good swim workout with everyone.  I swim with a good group of friends during lunch on workdays.  We tend to do pretty simple workouts during the week since we're on the lunch clock.  On the weekends though, the time limit gets thrown out the window and we swim longer and with more variety. 

Here's a fun option to try out for a workout.   This workout flew by and was challenging yet fun. 

Warm-up
2 x 150 as 100 swim, 50 stroke
200 kick

Main Set
4 x 100 descending
4 x 75
4 x 50 stroke/free
4 x 25 stroke in IM order
3 x 100
3 x 75 descending
3 x 50 stroke/free
3 x 25 stroke

Cool down
4 x 50 over/under
200 swim

I don't recall the exact mixture of free and stroke swimming that we did.  I swam off the workout group a little bit because my foot was bothering me so much so I had to just pull for some portions of the workout.  I was able to stay within the time intervals that the group was doing so that made me happy.  On a side note...I think it would be fun to finish going down the repeats ladder with 2 of each distance and then 1 of each distance.  It would be a long workout but manageable I think. 

I would challenge you if you are a triathlete like me to try swimming some stroke during the shorter sections of the workout.  A 25 yard swim of butterfly, breast, or backstroke is a nice and easy way to start incorporating more stroke into your workouts.  I got in a couple backstroke sprint intervals during this workout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment