About Me

My photo

Hi, I'm Whitney! I am a middle of the pack runner who discovered the fun of triathlons in 2009. Join me in my adventures in life and training. I run with the Rush Running team and enjoy the fun that comes with such a supportive group of friends who understand what running means to me. I'm newly discovering road biking and the fun that it entails.

Friday, July 11, 2014

Revamping Food Choices

Since late May I have been working with a nutritionist to revamp my food choices and learn how to fuel during long workouts.  This weekend I found some inspiration and fired up the grill.  I bought some lean steak from the grocery store that were pepper encrusted.  To go with that I added a zucchini and tomato foil packet on the grill.  I chopped the zucchini and just threw in some heirloom grape tomatoes with a little olive oil and salt.

The main part of the meal that I was most excited for though was a simple spinach salad.  I lightly chopped some baby spinach leaves.  On top of the spinach, I placed some sliced strawberries and a few blueberries.  Next I layered on some Rosemary and Olive oil flavored Romano cheese.  I just lightly crumbled the cheese after cutting it from the block I bought.  Next up was a light layer of crunchy fried onion pieces (similar to what you normally find on the top of green bean casserole!)  I originally wanted to use crushed nuts for the topping but discovered I didn't have any so that prompted the change to the fried onions and I was really happy with the change.  I used Girard's Champagne dressing and it was delicious!


For dessert, I gave grilled fruit a try.

I had a very ripe pineapple to cut up and so decided to try grilled pineapple as my sweet finish to the meal.  I filled a plastic baggie with some brown sugar and cinnamon.  I mixed the two together and then dropped my pineapple spears into the mixture.  I made sure that each spear got coated with the mixture and then placed onto the grill.  It took a few minutes per side as the sugar mixture caramelized.  I was left with a sweet pineapple treat that had just a hint of the cinnamon flavor.  It was delicious and I will definitely try this again!

1 comment:

  1. We had grilled pineapple (plain) for the 4th. So good. And I would love to read more posts on the nutritionists. I'm making a goal to run the peachtree road race (10k) in ATL next 4th. I've done other halfs and distances shorter, but never run the whole thing. That's my goal. I gotta lose about 40 lbs this year to be able to do it or more...that is doable. Less than a pound a week! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete