Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Finally a Long Run Done

With the crazy heat so far this summer I have been a little lacking in motivation to do my long runs.  I've been managing to get in around 5 miles distance each week and every few weeks getting in something in a little longer.  This weekend I decided I was going to finally get my butt in gear and get my long run done. 

I set my alarm clock to 5AM on Sunday so that I could get up and be done in time to watch Le Tour de France on Versus live for the exciting team time trial stage.  Apparently my brain doesn't remember the plans it has made at 5AM because I promptly turned the alarm off and went back to sleep.  I got up around 6:30 and then got myself dressed and ready to run.  I was surprised that the couch didn't kidnap me but I managed to stay focused on going running. 

I headed down to the Bentonville square which was decorated with flags for the 4th of July holiday weekend.  Several other runners and friends were starting out their runs and I quickly said hello.  I didn't linger and chat too much since it was now 7AM.  My original goal was to do an out and back that would total 8 miles.  I started out slow and easy since it was already warm.  By mile 2 1/2 I had already drank about half of my bottle of water...not a good sign!

I decided to modify the out and back and head back to the car for a water refill.  I took the whole run easy with walk breaks when I felt too hot and I carried a rag to keep the sweat out of my eyes.  I made it back to the car and had already finished 5.6 miles of the run.  Not bad except it was so hard to start back for the final miles to get to 8.  I refilled my bottle from the water fountain in the square and took a couple sips of sports drink that I had in the car.  I ran through town for the final few miles so that I could stay in the shade as much as possible but it was still a tough finish and I was so glad to hit the 8 mile on my Garmin. 

A few post-run pics...
Finishing temps...it was a hot day and I'm glad I got out there when I did.
I look awful...but so happy to be done!
That would be my Swass (Sweaty As*) print after I sat down to stretch.
 Surprisingly I wasn't too sore after the run which I have to think was because my pace was quite a bit slower than it should have been.  I hate having to rebuild my base but that's where I am at with my fitness for long runs.  I know if I keep at it I will adjust to the temps and my pace will get faster.  I just have to do the runs in order to gain the fitness.  This weekend I've got a triathlon on Sunday so I will probably try to do a mid-week longish run since I won't be able to do the long run. 

And in case you were wondering...I am a total fan of Garmin-Cervelo and love the Argyle Armada.  I didn't get home Sunday until around 9AM and had already missed their winning time trial.  I did get to see some of the other top teams race during the live show and of course I watched the evening show too.  Who are you rooting for in the tour?

No comments:

Post a Comment