Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Incorporating Veggies - Extra Veggie Turkey Chili

Sunday the weather was rather dreary.  I woke up to the sound of rain and knew that the group trail run planned for that morning would be scrapped.  I enjoyed a lazy morning and around 8:30 decided to head to the store for provisions.  I'm horrible about planning ahead so I didn't have a set menu in my head.  I knew that I wanted to make container salads to take to work for lunches but also wanted to prepare something for dinners.

I started in the produce section and picked up all my salad ingredients.  I checked around for what looked good and decided to make roasted vegetables.  I ended up with a good mixture of root vegetables like carrots and parsnips and also zucchini and yellow squash.  Next as I navigated through the store I walked the meat counter.  I decided on some lean ground turkey and then my plan for chili was hatched.

I love to make chili and almost always change it up slightly.  This time I managed to completely forget to buy an onion or a green pepper.  Usually those are two of my seasoning items that I prepare with the meat.  I tend to gravitate towards ground turkey in chili over beef but you can really use either.  Here's my recipe which is mostly dumping canned items! Super easy and turns out delicious and you get the bonus of sneaking in some extra veggies!  I usually sneak in zucchini into my chili recipe but you can add your favorite veggies.

Extra Veggie Turkey Chili
1 lb lean, ground turkey
1/2 C chopped carrots
1/2 C chopped zucchini
1 can dark red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can diced chili-ready tomatoes
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1/2 can corn kernels
1 packet chili seasoning
1 can tomato sauce (if needed)

Brown the meat over medium heat until cooked through.  Add carrots and zucchini to the pan and allow to cook a few minutes until softened.  Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix.  Heat through.  Serve over Fritos corn chips with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment